If you enjoy camping, then you should are no stranger to the S’more delicacy. We are not sure who first made the treat; what we are confident of is that the snack is delicious. Improvement in technology has made it easier to make S’more. Rather than wait for a camping trip, you can make the delicacy with friends and families from the comfort of your home. If you want to bring back the camping style and feel like a scout, then you should purchase a S’more kit and enjoy making the treat with your family. Read on for the top 5 S’more kit and best ways to make S’more.
The Progressive Prep Solutions PS-68BR Microwave S’mores Maker tops the list of the best S’more kits in the market. The fascinating product lets you microwave two S’mores at once for fast preparation. An impressive and straightforward design makes the product easy to use as all you need is to fill the reservoir with water and place the marshmallow and chocolate on the tray for heating. The water molecules vibrate quickly and so that they produce heat. The heat then causes water vapor to saturate the air for a more even cooking. Hence, your marshmallow won’t expand so much during the cooking and won’t dry out. Plus, it is convenient to clean in the dishwasher.
The product comes with actual hinges that are made of plastic for flexible and reliable performance. What’s more, the product doubles as a rice cooker, and you can boil water in it.
- Easy to clean
- Even heat distribution
- Durable construction
- Includes a S’more recipe book
- The marshmallow sometimes drips out and get on the sides
- The plastic material, although sturdy, is light
Another impressive S’more kit that you should add to your collection is the Nostalgia LSM400 Indoor Electric Stainless Steel S’mores Maker. The product is easy to set up and lets you bring outdoor S’more making indoors. It is also safe to use as there are no open flames, but an electric flameless heater does this job effortlessly. As a result, you don’t have to sort for woods as far as there is an electrical outlet near you. The product also features four lazy Susan compartment trays that come in handy for holding all your ingredients. Not just this, the product package features four stainless steel roasting fork to keep your hands at a safe distance from the heat.
Impressive construction with stainless steel allows regular use without falling apart. Its durable stainless base is easy to clean. You can also burn the marshmallows if you like them burnt by holding them over the middle burner for as long as you want. Although the heat is slower than a campfire, it gets hot enough to melt the marshmallows. Do note, though, that you might have a hard time storing the product as it is a little big. Other than this, the electric S’more maker is a monster.
- Metal part is easy to clean
- Four prongs and a storage bin
- Easy to use
- Electric flameless heat
- Four compartment trays
- The product takes a while to get hot
- The smell can be overwhelming in a confined space
Recreate exciting S’more making experience with friends and families with the Sterno 70228 Family Fun S’mores Maker. The product features two built-in stations that let you make your S’mores with ease. The product package also includes two stainless steel roasting forks and a roasting screen for protecting yourself from the flame. Thanks to the screen, you can achieve an even toasting and not risk getting burnt. As such, the product is excellent for indoor and outdoor use.
Unlike plug-in S’more makers, the product uses a can of Sterno S’mores fuel for reliable performance. As a result, you don’t always have to depend on electricity. The heat from the maker also has a burn time of up to 45 minutes. Plus, you can always reseal the fuel and use it again if you don’t exhaust it at once. Although it is a little bulky for one person, it is an excellent choice for a family gathering.
- Storage compartments
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Easy to set up and clean
- Roasting screen
- Two roasting forks and making stations
- The flame does rise a little and could harm kids without supervision
- Some buyers did not receive all them items in the package
Make S’more the way you love with the S’more to Love STL-611 Six-S’more Maker. Rather than wait for a campfire, you can bake the S’more on a grill or in an oven. The product has six compartments that hold individual S’more in place. Since there are six compartments, it means that you can make six S’mores at the same time. The design of the product is such that each compartment locks securely as an individual basket. However, the baskets are spaced to create convection currents. The currents ensure even heat distribution for even cooking. For cooking over the grill or oven, you can place a foil barrier beneath it to trap drips. However, cleanup is breezy with non-abrasive sponge and soap.
Another advantage of the product is that it lets you try out different cooking styles with either the oven, grill, or toaster oven. One thing, though, it eliminates the need for campfires and dirty procedures. You can also use it on fire; however, it will rust after your first use.
- Easy cleanup
- Sturdy construction
- Tip covers ensure safe use
- Holds food tightly
- The rod is removable for cleaning
- Loads easily
- Will ruin your grill if you don’t use foil
- There’s a little too much room in the design and crackers can slide under the cage
The SUMPRI S’more storage box lets you keep your roasting sticks, crackers, and chocolate bares organized. Available in different colors, the product is beautifully designed to carry a large pack of marshmallows, two bags of crackers, six milk chocolate bars, and roasting sticks at once. Two cantilever trays make the product an excellent way to transport your S’more and other accessories conveniently. The storage box features a snap-tight clasp and an ergonomic carrying handle. As a result, you won’t get tired carrying it, and the contents won’t spill during transit. Plus, it is made of high-quality PP plastic material for durable and flexible performance.
Polypropylene plastic, unlike other types, is safe for use and is not toxic. The absence of a gasket is filled by an inner rim that fits with the top. The lock, storage, and compartment design also prevent bugs from accessing your treats in between roasting.
- Heavy plastic construction
- Large and deep compartments
- Keeps insects away
- Multiple color options
- Carrying handle
- The stickers are hard to remove
- It is a little tough to get the latch on
How to Make S’more
There are four ways that you could make S’more. Interestingly, the snack is easy to make with a few bars of chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallows. It has a total cooking time of 10 minutes with five minutes dedicated to preparation and cooking, respectively.
- Broken pieces of chocolate bars
- Regular-sized marshmallows
- Graham Crackers
Method one: How to make S’mores in an oven
- Pre-heat the oven: You can either bake or broil your S’more in an oven, each with its advantage and disadvantage. Broiling is less time consuming; however, it is very easy to burn your chocolate and marshmallows. Baking, on the other hand, is more time-consuming, hence, reduces the chances of burning your ingredients. Set the heat at 205o Celsius or 400o Fahrenheit if you want to bake the marshmallow. Set your oven to broil if you choose to cook it and let it heat up.
- Proceed to break the cracker into two halves. The essence is to add either half to the top and the bottom of the S’mores, respectively. After this, place the split crackers on a prepared baking sheet in the oven.
- Place the chocolate and marshmallow on the split graham cracker. The chocolate should, however, be smaller than the cracker. If it is too big, break it into sizable chunks. Let the chocolate go one square and the marshmallow on the other.
- Just the way it is without placing them together, transfer the baking sheet into your oven. By doing this, the marshmallow will get toasted and the chocolate with melt a bit. Broiling a marshmallow should take between seconds to a minute, in contrast to oven-heating, which takes up to five minutes in some cases. When you have achieved the desired baking, remove the sheet from the oven and set it down on a cool surface. Be careful to protect your hand to prevent getting burnt.
- Bring the graham cracker that has the chocolate and flip it oven the one with marshmallow and press it down gently. This way, the marshmallow, and the chocolate would blend gently. Remove it from the sheet and serve.
Method Two: How to make S’mores over a fire
S’mores can be made over any type of fire; however, the type of fuel used affects the flavor of your marshmallow. Be careful, though not to expose yourself to open fire, especially on windy days. We recommend having a fire extinguisher reader for emergencies. For open campfire, use dry and clean wood.
- Break the graham cracker into two halves for covering either end of the S’more. Unwrap the chocolate bar and divide it into pieces if it is larger than the cracker. After this, place the chocolate on one half of the graham cracker, and leave the other half empty.
- Insert a clean S’more stick into the side of your marshmallow and hold it over the open fire and let it roast till you are satisfied. Rotate it to ensure even cooking. If you are using a stick, shave the tip to get rid of barks. Use a heat-resistant metal skewer if you want to use a metal skewer to avoid burning your hand. Repeat this process until the marshmallow is golden brown.
- Transfer the marshmallow from the fire and place it on top of the prepared cracker and the chocolate. Press them together gently and let the hot marshmallow melt the chocolate. Let it cool for a while and serve.
How to make S’mores in a microwave
The steps for making S’mores in a microwave are similar to the ones we have highlighted above with a few differences. Nonetheless, let us run through the steps to make preparation convenient.
- Split the graham cracker into two halves. Set one half aside and place the other on a micro-wave dish. We recommend that you cover the plate with a paper towel to prevent moisture from making the cracker soggy.
- Place your marshmallow on the cracker with the side facing down to prevent it from rolling off the cracker. Keep it in the microwave for about twelve seconds and let it poof up. It will also be gooey and soft on the inside but won’t turn golden-brown as with over open fire. Remove your marshmallow from the microwave in ten seconds or less as it can become hard it left exposed.
- Place the broken chocolate on the marshmallow once it is soft and gooey. Ensure that the chocolate is not bigger than the cracker. Place the other half of the cracker on the chocolate, let it melt for a few seconds and serve.
How to make S’mores with variations
Make your S’more with more flavor by adding fruits to it. It could be a slice of banana, strawberries, or other fruits that goes well with chocolate. Let us use banana and strawberry for our example.
- Before you add the chocolate, add the fruit slices. Plus, instead of hard chocolate, we recommend a chocolate spread as it helps the fruit glue better unto the cracker. Use chocolate filled with peanut butter, caramel, mint, or gourmet chocolate instead of dark or plain old milk chocolate. You can also switch regular crackers for a chocolate cracker.
- Like we said, use chocolate or marshmallow spreads as they spread quickly and have their unique flavors. Hence, instead of chocolate, you may use chocolate sauce. It could also be candy instead of chocolate.
- Put all the pieces together and wrap them in a foil. Use a lightly-oiled foil and fold the ends to seal the content. Heat the package over an open fire for about three minutes, turning it often to ensure even burning. Set it down with tong to prevent burning your hand. If you want to use a grill, set the temperature to 177o Celsius or 350o
It is possible to make S’mores without using graham crackers. You can use another type of sweet-flavored cracker, or you could use a chocolate cooker.
Factors to consider before buying a S’more kit
You should consider several factors before going ahead to purchase either a S’more maker, carrying case, stick, or skewer. They include the heat source, quantity, material, and price.
Since you can’t have S’more without heat, you should decide the type of heat source you want for your S’more maker. For example, an electric-powered S’more is not best for camping scenery. Instead, you should buy a fuel-powered product. However, some products support indoor and outdoor use. Hence, you should check the heat source before buying the product.
Another factor that you should consider is the number of S’more that you need to heat at once. This is because it determines the pace at which you prepare your S’more. The S’more to Love STL-611 Six-S’more Maker, for example, has six compartments for making six S’mores at once. Hence, we recommend looking for products with huge compartments for a large gathering.
Whether it is the S’more maker, the carrying box, the S’more stick or skewer, it must be sturdily made for durable performance. For the maker and carrying box, look for stainless steel or rugged plastic. However, avoid toxic plastic. For the stick and skewer, make sure it is fire-resistant to prevent burning yourself.
Strive to strike a balance between price and quality ratio. You don’t always have to purchase an expensive S’more kit before you enjoy value on your purchase. However, we advise against buying an overly-cheap product in a bid to save cash. Hence, look for quality and considerable pricing.
Relishing a happy camping routine with S’more is an exciting way to have fun. The recipe is easy to prepare and is convenient with the appropriate kit. Don’t let the fun stop just because you are not out in the open. Grab one of the kits for yourself and treat those around you to delicious S’more.