Most of us like to sit in front of a campfire, enjoying its warmth while we gather with our family and friends to tell stories and roast some tasty food. However, a campfire isn’t always convenient. Fortunately, a fire pit can provide the same benefits without the need for clearing the ground.
The best part is that most fire pits are safe, portable, and easy to clean. Unfortunately, choosing a high-quality product is not an easy task, especially if you have a ton of choices. That’s why we are here to help you find the best fire pit for your backyard. This buying guide will provide information about the top fire pits available on the market, along with the different types of fire pits and features to consider when buying a fire pit.
Types of Fire Pits
There are several types of fire pits, and each type has its own advantages and disadvantages.
• Wood Burning Fire Pits – Often made with marble or steel, a wood burning fire pits have the same smoky ambiance and warmth as a campfire. The difference is that the fire is confined in a bowl, and it comes with a screen cover for safety. However, this type of fire pit can be high in maintenance. This is because you need to regularly chop wood to keep the fire running. Aside from that, you also need to keep it dry and covered when not in use. Lastly, insects will be attracted to the wood no matter where you store it.
• Gel Fuel Fire Pits – A gel fuel fire pit does not give off any smoke or the smell of burnt wood. As such, it is versatile, and it can be placed anywhere in your backyard. Moreover, this type of fire pit is also easy to use. All you need to do is to light the gel fuel. The flame will eventually die once the fuel is consumed. A downside for gel fuel fire pits is that they don’t give off much heat compared to the other types of fire pits. Additionally, gel fuel is hard to find in local stores. Nonetheless, you can purchase a can of gel fuel online.
• Propane Fire Pits – Compared to a wood burning or gel fire pit, a propane fire pit is larger, and they are often the centerpiece of a room. Plus, they provide an impressive flame even if you don’t refill them with wood or gel. Its flame is ignited when you switch its propane tank, which is housed under the fire pit. From there, you can extinguish the flame by turning off the propane supply. A downside for this versatile fire pit is that its costly because you also need to purchase a propane tank regularly. Also, the food cooked over a propane fire pit is not as flavorful as wood-cooked foods.
• Natural Gas Fire Pits – A natural gas fire pit is similar to a propane fire pit. It produces a quality flame without the need to refill it with wood or gel fuel. The difference is that it is connected to a natural gas line instead of a propane tank. As such, this type of fire pit is easy to maintain. Also, operating it is inexpensive. However, you have to install it, so the installation process can be costly. Furthermore, you can’t move it around your backyard.
Best Overall: Outland Firebowl 883 Propane Gas Fire Pit
Founded in 2010 by Willie Fisher and Frank Fan, Outland Living is a Canada-based company that offers high-quality fire pits at affordable prices. This company stands behind their high standards, and they deliver excellent customer service.
With the Outland Firebowl 883, you can say goodbye to expensive firewood, bothersome smoke, and dirty ashes. This is because it can provide a clean and smokeless propane campfire. Plus, it is strong and durable, thanks to its stainless steel construction with a protective powder coating. Aside from that, this stylish product also features a stainless steel burner and fasteners with an output of 58,000 BTU. Also, it has a chrome valve knob with a rubber grip that allows you to adjust the height of the flame.
In addition to those features, this propane fire pit also comes with a natural lava rock set, which is designed to improve the flickering effect of the fire. Also, this product has a 10-foot hose with a regulator and a propane tank stabilizer ring that allows you to keep the propane tank out of sight. Best of all, this fire pit is CSA-approved, so it is safe to use during a campfire ban.
With all these great features, the Outland Firebowl 883 is certainly one of the top fire pits available on the market. However, some reviewers have noted that its exterior paint cracks and chips easily. Moreover, its regulator is not sensitive.
• Can generate about 58,000 BTU
• Has a durable stainless steel construction
• Lightweight and portable
• CSA-approved fire pit
• Its exterior paint cracks and chips easily
• Regulator is not sensitive
Best Value: Landmann 28345 Sky Stars and Moons Fire Pit
For over 50 years, Landmann has been producing affordable yet high-quality products, which includes smokers, fireplace grate, fire pits, and many more. Its heritage is of German engineering, and they stand for precision in everything they do – precision in design, functionality, and overall aesthetics of their products.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly yet high-quality product, the Landmann 28345 Sky Stars and Moons is an excellent choice. This is not only because of its unique and enticing design. This wood burning fire pit is also sturdy and long-lasting, thanks to its steel construction. Aside from that, it has stars and moons cutouts, which promotes better airflow. Plus, it only weighs about 35 pounds, so you can easily move it around your backyard and bring it to the beach or your camping trips. Furthermore, this product comes with a mesh guard that can protect you against uncontrolled flying embers. Also included in the package are a cooking grate and poker.
This stylish product from Landmann is certainly one of the best fire pits available on the market, especially considering its price and features. However, this product is not perfect. Some reviewers have noted that its exterior paint peels off quickly.
• Has a sturdy steel construction
• Has cutouts for better airflow
• Comes with a cooking grate, mesh guard, and poker
• Lightweight and portable
• Exterior paint peels off quickly
Best Wood Burning: Sunnydaze Crossweave Outdoor Fire Pit
Sunnydaze Décor is the flagship brand of the Serenity Health & Home Decors. This brand is one of the largest and most popular manufacturers of fire pits in the United States. Aside from that, products from this brand are highly rated due to their durability, quality, and innovative design.
The Sunnydaze Crossweave Outdoor Fire Pit has a beautiful weave pattern design that allows you to view the fire inside the pit. Aside from its alluring design, it also has a lot of space for your firewood, so it can provide long-lasting fires. Plus, it is made with durable steel with high-temperature and rust-resistant paint.
Another great feature of this wood burning fire pit is its weight, which is about 29 pounds. As such, you can move it around your backyard or bring it to the beach with ease. Aside from a waterproof and weather-resistant cover, this product also comes with a metal spark screen that can protect you against flying embers.
Although a great product, the Sunnydaze Crossweave Outdoor Fire Pit has a shortcoming. It doesn’t have holes in the bottom of the pit. Besides air flow, the holes facilitate water drainage. For this reason, this fire pit cannot work efficiently if you’ve left it out in the rain.
• Has a lot of space inside the pit
• Has an attractive design
• Made with durable steel
• Lightweight and portable
• Comes with a metal spark screen and a waterproof cover
• Doesn’t have holes in the bottom for airflow/water drainage
Best Gas Fire: Endless Summer GAD15258SP Fire Table
For over 45 years, Endless Summer has been producing high-quality and affordable patio heaters and fire pits. Products from this brand are popular and highly rated due to their trendy and innovative design.
The Endless Summer GAD15258SP Fire Table will not only provide warmth. It can also bring the ambiance of a fireplace to your backyard or patio. Plus, its base has a striking steel leaf design, making it an alluring centerpiece of your outdoor living space.
Aside from its attractive design, this fire pit has a durable construction, making it long-lasting. It also has a stainless steel burner with an integrated ignition that has an output of 50,000 BTU. Lastly, this product comes with a protective cover, fire glass, and table insert.
One downside for this stylish product is its weight, which is a bit heavy. As such, it is hard to move. Moreover, some reviewers have noted that its ignition button doesn’t work well.
• Has a durable construction
• Easy to assemble
• Has a stainless steel burner with integrated ignition
• Comes with a protective cover, table insert, and fire glass
• Hard to move
• Ignition button doesn’t work well
Best Portable: Best Choice Products Portable Steel Outdoor Fire Pit
Best Choice Products offers a variety of products, ranging from home furniture to outdoor heating equipment. Additionally, this company is motivated by its customers. As such, it doesn’t only offer high-quality products. Its staff also provides excellent customer service.
The Best Choice Products Portable Steel Outdoor Fire Pit is a versatile product that you can use to cook food, stay warm, and create a cozy ambiance during cool nights. For its features, it has a simple yet contemporary design that will look great in your backyard. Aside from that, it also has a portable design that allows you to fold its legs, place it in a carrying bag, and bring it easily to a beach or park.
Aside from those features, this wood burning fire pit is also made from heavy-duty steel with a heat-resistant finish, so you are guaranteed that it is long-lasting. Furthermore, it comes with a mesh cover that can protect you against flying embers and a wood poker that lets you move charcoal or wood safely. There’s also a grid in the bottom of the fire bowl that not only holds the wood but promotes better airflow as well.
Overall, this fire pit from Best Choice Products is an excellent product, especially if you’re looking for a budget-friendly fire pit that you can bring anywhere. However, this product is a bit small for some users.
• Has a portable design
• Has a sturdy construction
• Comes with mesh cover and poker
• A bit small
What to Look for in a Fire Pit
When buying a fire pit, you need to consider the type of fire pit that you like. For example, if you like the smell of burning wood, then you can purchase a wood burning fire pit. However, it is best to opt for a propane or natural gas fire pit if you don’t like ashes or too much smoke.
Aside from the type, you should also consider the product’s design. Fire pits come in various sizes, shapes, and designs. As much as possible, choose a product that will fit in your backyard and match your décor. Moreover, if you want a fire pit that you can move easily, then you pick a fire pit with a fire bowl design.
Fire pits are made from various materials, including stone, tiles, copper, and stainless steel. When choosing a material, you need to consider several factors. For example, a stone-made fire pit is heavy, so it is not very portable. Another example is stainless steel. This material is not only easy to clean but rust- and rain-resistant as well. However, fire pits made with stainless steel are a bit pricey.
Most fire pits have additional accessories, like a screen that can keep embers from flying, a vinyl cover that can protect your fire pit against the elements, and a grill insert that you can use for cooking.